Thread: Tips on winning comps

Default Tips on winning comps

Hiya, just wondering if anyone had tips on winning comps? Is it just the amount you enter? I see in the winners circle that some people win like upto 10 things a month!

Hi katietaylor...the short answer is enter enter ENTER - you gotta be in to win! Many compers say you win about 1 prize per 100 entries. Try entering lots of different types - online ones, ones on Facebook/Twitter/instagram etc, try magazines especially Thats Life and Lucky Break, til you find your preferred comping style.

I read a good book 'How to win competitions' by SHerry Sojander, its an Aussie book but quite relevant here too, she has good tips esp on things like writing good 'words or less' entries.

I'll have a think and see what else I can come up with. Oh and read the terms of course...no point entering 100 comps if all of them have expired or only open to Aussie! :) and don't give up...it can take ages for comps to be drawn and prizes to be sent, often a few months turn around time, so be patient.

And make sure you have a seperate email address for comping! thats the best advice I can give you may not need it right now, but once you've comped for awhile, you'd be amazed how many newsletters and junk you get.

DON'T ever pay money to claim a prize, or give credit card info etc - sounds obvious, but thought I'd warn ya!

Use auto-complete (or an equivalent thing) to fill out forms...I've got Google Chrome and it seems to be built into it, and works well, saves me heaps of time so I can enter MORE!

Let friends/family know you're a comper, they will be sure to tell you about comps they see (99% of the time, they'll be comps you already knew about , but once in awhile word of mouth will get you a good find!)

Keep your eyes open EVERYWHERE! Comps are hiding in advertisements in magazines, in the corner of small newsletters, you'll be amazed where they pop up.

The main types of comps I can think of are: Online comps (like on companies websites etc), Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Recipe, Photo, Magazine (most magazines have comps in them, Thats Life and Lucky Break seem to be the ones best catering to compers), and Shopping (where you buy qualifiying items to be in to enter - keep your receipts!!). Find ones you enjoy, that work for you.

Oh and here = http://www.contest.co.nz/general-cha...ing-share.html is the post I made about 4 years ago, about this very topic - hope it helps, and GOOD LUCK!

great advise requiem, nothing more i can add

good luck katietaylor
    Thanks for sharing and2 All